Set up Alert Guelph text messages, phone calls or emails
Guelph, Ont., November 28, 2019 – Alert Guelph is the City of Guelph’s new public alert messaging system—providing you with trusted, timely and accurate information to ensure you and your family are safe during a local emergency.
“We all have a role to play in ensuring our community is prepared and can respond effectively should there be an emergency. One thing you can do is to subscribe to get our alerts,” says Dave Elloway, the City’s community emergency management coordinator.
At the local level, Alert Guelph supplements Alert Ready, Canada’s emergency alerting system. Guelph’s system also supports the City’s Strategic Plan by continuing to build a strong, vibrant, safe and healthy community through strategic investment and technology.
Subscribing is easy and only takes a few minutes!
Subscribe to the free service online using only your postal code to get critical public safety messages during severe weather events, large-scale power outages and health outbreaks.
When you subscribe to Alert Guelph, you’ll have the option to create a personal profile and choose how you want to get alerts: by phone call, text message and/or email. Alerts are only sent during a local emergency or system test.
“Alert Guelph is designed to reach you at your preferred point of contact, using the information you provide during registration,” explains Elloway. “For residents who don’t have a mobile phone, public safety alerts can be sent to a landline or email address.”
If you work in Guelph, but don’t call the city home, Elloway encourages you to subscribe using your business postal code during registration as the system can’t push Guelph-specific alerts to postal codes outside the city.
The public alert messaging system is powered by Canadian-based ICEsoft Technologies.
What you can expect
- Personalized communications: Receive critical information such as your distance and direction from an incident and recommended evacuation routes from your tracked locations.
- Track multiple locations: Create and track multiple locations such as “kids’ school” or “parent’s house.” Any event or communication related to your tracked locations will be forwarded to you through your preferred communication channel.
- No message fatigue: You will only get notified when a communication is relevant to you or one of the locations you are tracking.
- Communications your way: Receive alerts over a wide variety of communication channels including mobile apps, text/SMS alerting, email or voice calling. You can register for all or one of them.
- Leaving is easy: We don’t want to see you go, but if you move or need to unsubscribe, both the mobile app and web-based account offer an unsubscribe feature through the menu icon on the top right of the screen/page. If the service isn’t working, choose the “Unsubscribe” button and your alerts will stop.
Community Emergency Management Coordinator
City of Guelph
519-822-1260 extension 2127