We’re updating our Water Supply Master Plan!
The City of Guelph is updating the 2014 Water Supply Master Plan (WSMP) to review our municipal water supply sources and identify priorities, including sustainable water supply options from now until 2041.
Today, our existing water supply fulfills the City’s commitment to providing a safe and reliable supply of water. Our WSMP update will look to the community to discuss how best to manage this vital supply so that we continue to provide the same high level of service to Guelph residents.
The updated WSMP will provide short-term, mid-term and long-term water supply options to ensure we can continue to meet the demands of Guelph’s growing population. When investigating existing and new water supply options – like new groundwater sources in and outside of the City and local surface water sources – we’ll consider things like water quality and quantity, climatic conditions, economic factors and any relevant regulations.
When we’re done – after our WSMP update is reviewed by the Guelph community and approved by Council – we’ll have identified constraints and opportunities related to our existing water supply system. We’ll also have evaluated and prioritized individual projects to increase the capacity of our existing system.
We want to hear from you
Your feedback is an important part of the WSMP update.
- Join our Community Liaison Group. You’ll help us set objectives for the WSMP update and assess alternative water supply options. If you’re interested, please contact Matthew Alexander at 519-840-2223 or at [email protected]
- Attend our open houses and let us know what you think. Our first open house will be scheduled early in 2020. Dates for this event will be posted at Guelph.ca/WSMP, in the City News pages of the Guelph Mercury Tribune and sent to the project mailing list.
- Read about our progress. Project information will be posted on our project page Guelph.ca/WSMP
- Join our mailing list. Send us your name and how you would like to be contacted (e.g., email or mail) and we will keep you informed.
- Follow the conversation on Twitter and Facebook.
Our Water Supply Master Plan update will follow the requirements of Phases 1 & 2 of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (MCEA) in accordance with Approach #1 of the Master Plan Process described in the MCEA Manual (amended in 2015) by the Municipal Engineers Association. The WSMP update will be readily updated at approximately five-year intervals. This 2019 update will be coordinated with the Official Plan and will contain plans for execution of individual projects consisting of Class EA Schedule A, B and C activities.
For more information
Please visit Guelph.ca/WSMP for the latest information about the WSMP update.
To provide your comments, request additional information, be added to the project mailing list, or if you require this notice to be provided in an alternative format as per the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), please contact:
Dave Belanger, M.Sc., P.Geo.
Water Supply Program Manager, Water Services
519-822-1260 extension 2186
Matthew Alexander, M.Sc., P.Geo.
Project Manager, AECOM Canada Ltd
This notice was first issued on October 31, 2019.