Guelph, Ont., June 10, 2019—MoneySense has ranked Guelph as the second best city to buy real estate in Canada after Windsor. Guelph has been among MoneySense’s top five places to buy real estate since 2017.
MoneySense ranks cities based on three criteria:
- Value: how affordable the community is compared to the surrounding area and the region overall.
- Momentum: how quickly prices are appreciating in a community with an emphasis on long-term appreciation.
- Expert insight: grading of communities as desirable by an extensive panel of real estate agents.
“Employees often want to live in the same city they work in, so a community’s real estate market really matters,” says Barbara Maly, Manager, Economic Development with the City of Guelph. “Whether local businesses choose to expand here or new businesses make the move to Guelph, they can be confident that our community has great housing options for their employees, and all the amenities of an urban centre with the connectedness of a small community.”
The MoneySense report includes the following highlights about Guelph’s real estate market:
- Average house price: $527,300
- Average five-year rent increase: 20.02 per cent
- Time to buy: the average house price is 5.26 times greater than the average annual income
- Five-year annual return on investment: eight per cent
About Invest in Guelph
Invest in Guelph represents the business development outcomes identified in the City of Guelph’s economic development strategy, Prosperity 2020. Invest in Guelph aims to position and promote Guelph as an ideal place to do business. From the moment you begin considering Guelph we provide you with a list of resources, offer an array of confidential business investment services, information and data resources and expedited and streamlined development approval processes to reduce your investment risk and save you time. We make it easy to do business in Guelph.
For more information
Barbara Maly, Manager, Economic Development
Business Development and Enterprise Services
City of Guelph
519-822-1260 extension 2822