Guelph, Ont., February 20, 2019—Nearly 157 years ago Thomas W. Cooper compiled a map of the Town of Guelph from surveys and plans he had created. Today, Cooper’s 1862 map is on display at Guelph City Hall in celebration of Heritage Week which runs February 18 to 24.
At the time, the boundary of the Town of Guelph encompassed land from Silvercreek Parkway in the west, Willow Road, Westmount Road and Speedvale Avenue in the north, and Victoria Road in the east. The south boundary aligned with a portion of the Eramosa River west of Victoria Road.
Cooper’s map helped to lay the footprint for the city of Guelph as we know it today. This early map shows lot numbers and the names of major landowners. It also provides details about places in the downtown core including Guelph Town Hall with its original tower.
In 1877, Cooper updated the map to reflect the changes in the community following Confederation. The updated map shows the Drill Hall, designed by Cooper himself and built in 1866 between the railway tracks and Farquhar Street, and the rebuilt Guelph Town Hall tower constructed in 1869.
The 1877 map has been generously loaned to the City for display by P. Brian Skerrett, Chair of Heritage Guelph.
The maps will be on display in the Galleria at City Hall until early May.
For more information
Stephen Robinson, Senior Heritage Planner
519-822-1260 extension 2496