Guelph, Ont., April 26, 2018—The City of Guelph is ending midday adult school crossing guard coverage at six underused locations at the end of the current school year. Morning and afternoon crossing guard service will continue at all 33 locations currently served by the City.
Current midday crossing guard coverage will not resume at these locations in September:
- Paisley Road at Alma Street
- Imperial Road at Stephanie Drive
- Scottsdale Drive at Ironwood Road
- Paisley Road at Silvercreek Parkway
- Willow Road at Westwood Road
- Victoria Road N at St. Patrick’s Catholic Elementary School
Data from the affected locations indicates that any grade six and under student crossing at these locations are accompanied by a guardian. These six locations are the only ones with current midday crossing guard coverage in Guelph. This information was presented to Council on March 29, 2018.
New flashing light stop paddles for back to school
As of Monday April 23, the City provided adult school crossing guards with flashing light stop paddles at non-signalized locations. These paddles make it easier for drivers to see people crossing the road, especially during poor weather conditions.
Drivers are required to stop for students and adults crossing the road whenever an adult school crossing guard is in the crossing. Drivers must remain stopped until everyone, including the crossing guard, has cleared the road way.
In November 2017, the City piloted flashing light paddles at locations with no standard traffic control measures such as traffic lights or stop signs. Data and anecdotal feedback from crossing guards indicated that driver compliance increased, traffic speeds decreased, and there was a general improvement in driver behaviour at school crossings.
Drivers will see flashing paddles in use at the following intersections:
- Dublin Street at Cambridge Street
- Grange Road at Auden Road
- Stephanie Drive at Rochelle Drive
- Colonial Drive at Sir Isaac Brock Public School
- Grange Road at Kearney Street
- Starwood Drive at Lee Street
- Hall Avenue at Goodwin Drive
- Waverley Drive at Windsor Street
- Zudak Place at McCann Street
- Eastview Road at Severn Drive
- Lane Street near Ryan Avenue
Give back to the community—become a crossing guard
Become a school crossing guard and help keep our community safe. We are currently taking applications for adult school crossing guard positions.
Visit Part-time and seasonal positions under Current opportunities at guelph.ca/careers for more information or to apply.
For more information
Christine Vettor, Adult School Crossing Guard Program Coordinator
519-822-1260 extension 2040