This fall, the City of Guelph is collecting bagged yard waste at your curb and loose leaves raked onto the road. Residents are encouraged to participate in both programs. Find program details below.
Loose leaf collection
Loose leaf collection dates have changed this year due to late leaf drop. The new dates are November 20 to December 1, 2017.
The City will make one scheduled pickup on your street at the same time as your grey cart collection week. Rake leaves onto the curb the weekend prior to Monday, November 20. Do not rake the leaves out sooner than a few days prior to the collection date in accordance with the Guelph’s Traffic Bylaw, and to avoid plugging of storm inlets which may cause flooding.
For safety reasons, please prevent children from playing in the leaves on the roadway.
Loose leaf collection will take place November 20 to December 1, 2017
Week A: November 27 to December 1, 2017
Week B: November 20 to 24, 2017
Any leaves left on the roads after collection ends can be bagged and dropped off at the Waste Resource Innovation Centre (110 Dunlop Drive) at no cost. An alternative is to top up your green cart with leaves each week.
Alternatively, you can keep your leaves in your yard! Yard waste and leaves can provide vital nutrients to your lawn and garden. Try these tips for a healthy landscape:
- Use mulched leaves on your lawn to help control weeds and create healthier growing conditions
- Leave grass clippings on the lawn to decompose and release organic matter and valuable nutrients into your lawn
- Try home composting—it provides free, nutrient-rich organic matter for your lawn and garden
For more information visit guelph.ca/healthylandscapes.
For more information about loose leaf collection contact Operations at 519-837-5628 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bagged yard waste collection
The following yard waste can be placed in paper bags, jute bags or in a clearly labeled container for collection:
- Grass clippings (including thatch)
- Hedge trimmings
- Woody plants (e.g. vines or rose bushes)
- Brush, branches, and tree limbs with a diameter less than 5 centimetres (2 inches)
Bagged yard waste collection will take place October 30 to November 10, 2017 during your grey cart garbage collection week, on your regular collection day. Bags must be set out by 6:30 a.m.
Week A: October 30 to November 3
Week B: November 6 to 10
Refer to the waste collection schedule to determine whether your household follows the Week A or Week B collection schedule.
Branches and tree limbs must be tied in bundles not larger than 1 metre (3 feet) long by 0.6 metres (2 feet) wide. Each bundle, bag or container of yard waste must not exceed 20 kilograms (44 pounds).
For more information about bagged yard waste collection contact Waste Services at 519-767-0598 or email@example.com.
Options for disposing of pumpkins
Pumpkins can be:
- Cut up and placed inside your green cart;
- Cut up and placed inside your yard waste bag or container; or
- Brought to the Waste Resource Innovation Centre at 110 Dunlop Drive for free disposal
Why do I need to cut up my pumpkins? Pumpkins that are cut up compost better than whole pumpkins.