Annual water main cleaning begins Friday, September 18 with completion expected by the end of October as follows:
- Water main flushing daily September 18 to 25 and October 26 to 30, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Water main cleaning nightly from September 27 to October 22, between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Water main cleaning on October 25 between 6 a.m. and 4 p.m.
What to expect
- Homes and businesses where water mains are to be cleaned will receive a notice before cleaning begins on their street.
- Tap water should not be used during cleaning times. Store tap water before cleaning starts or use bottled water.
- Water pressure may be low during flushing periods, and water may appear discoloured.
- No chemicals are used in cleaning and flushing. Special scrubbers and water pressure are used to clean water mains.
Drinking small amounts of discoloured water is unlikely to cause health issues. However, the City recommends waiting until water runs clear before drinking it. To clear discoloured water, run a cold water tap for five to fifteen minutes.
Why we clean water mains
Water main cleaning ensures that customers receive the freshest water possible. Cleaning removes buildup of natural minerals such as iron and manganese. This reduces the chance that water will become discoloured.
For more information about watermain cleaning or water quality contact Water Services at 519-837-5627.