About us

The History of Guelph Civic Museum

YearDescription
1960sMembers of the Guelph Historical Society began to collect artifacts and displays were mounted in store fronts and community centres.
1967Canada’s Centennial Year. The Museum opened in its first home in the horse stables, now the Farmer’s Market.
1980Guelph Civic Museum opened at 6 Dublin Street South, a commercial limestone building built c.1855. The building had many uses over the years but was most recently known as the Knights of Columbus Hall.
2000The Growing Up in Guelph Children’s Museum opened at the Civic Museum. The popular children’s gallery attracted many more visitors and significantly increased the number of family memberships.
2012Guelph Civic Museum opens at 52 Norfolk Street, the former Loretto Convent.

 

First visitors at the new Civic Museum on a general public day, Saturday, January 21, 2012 – Gary & Elizabeth Luck

First visitors at the new Civic Museum on a general public day, Saturday, January 21, 2012 – Gary & Elizabeth Luck