On Saturday, June 24, the City hosted a community celebration to mark the grand reopening of the newly renovated Victoria Road Recreation Centre.
The aging and outdated recreation facility was renovated to improve accessibility, security, customer service, and to offer new programming space for leisure and recreation programs.
A look behind the scenes
Hover over photo to reveal gallery slide arrows to see more photos.
- New entrance, multi-purpose rooms, offices, customer service counter, aquatic office, accessible washrooms and change rooms
- Upgraded 50-metre pool
- New accessible teaching pool
- New heating and filtration system
- Exterior courtyard
- Renovated entrance/lobby and new elevator
- Upgrade change rooms
- New lighting and heating
- Energy efficiency improvements
- Renovated multi-purpose rooms
- Heated arena viewing area
- Additional barrier free viewing spaces
- New facility storage, custodial space upgrades, and office space
- Redesigned parking lot to include a drop off at the arena and pool entrances
- New driveway from the arena level of the parking lot to the lower parking lot
- Additional barrier free parking spaces near the main entrance
- Landscaping and upgraded site lighting
Budgeting and financing
City Council approved a $15.1 million budget for this project in 2016, which will be funded through:
- Parkland Dedication reserve – $500,000
- Recreation Facility development charges – $1,678,000
- tax funded debt – $12,922,000
The construction work is expected to take 15 months to complete—starting April 2016 and ending in spring 2017.
What you need to know
Swimming lessons/fitness classes
During renovations, and to accommodate VRRC patrons, we have increased our programming at West End Community Centre, Centennial Pool, and Lyon Leisure Pool. Visit guelph.ca/recreation or pick up a copy of the Guelph Community Guide at your local community centre to learn more about the City’s recreation and leisure offerings.
City recreation and leisure facilities
21 Imperial Road South
289 College Avenue West
376 College Avenue West
299 York Road
683 Woolwich Street
Recreation user fees and rental rates
Recreation user fees and rates are set by Council each year during the budget process.
Fitness room and sauna
The renovated facility will no longer offer a fitness room and sauna. Our decision to eliminate these services was based on equipment replacement cost, overall patron use, and the physical space needed to meet the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Guelph residents can access the fitness room and sauna at the West End Community Centre, located at 21 Imperial Road South.
Have your say
Last fall, the community provided input into the type of recreation and leisure programming it would like to see offered in the new program space at the VRRC. Thank you to everyone who took the time to complete the survey. We received a tremendous response, with 1,175 residents commenting on what they would like to see offered in the fall of 2017 and beyond. Our Program and Community Development team is currently reviewing the survey results and will be compiling a list of the top responses. Details, once available, will be posted to this page.