Through this initiative, we provide low-cost recreation opportunities for children and their families. Programs are listed in the Guelph Community Guide.
During the summer months, we encourage children to get outside and be active as a way to improve physical and mental well-being. Through our Park Activation program, we offer free, drop-in games and activities in select parks. We hope to see you at the park!
If you are spending time indoors at one of our recreation facilities, choose a healthy drink option with our reusable water bottle vending machines. Buy a bottle and fill up at the water station. It’s that easy.
Between 2015 and 2018, Guelph was one of 45 Ontario communities participating in the Healthy Kids Community Challenge—a project funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care focused on improving children’s health.
Energize Guelph was created to deliver this project locally, making it real in ways that worked best where we live. Over the course of the project, more than 15,000 children, parents and caregivers participated in programs, workshops and events promoting the importance of being physically active, choosing water over sugar-sweetened drinks, eating more fruits and vegetables, and reducing screen time.
A special shout out to our community partners for their support and to everyone who participated!
Learn more about community programs and initiatives by:
- Easy games to play in gyms, playgrounds, and outdoors
- Great games anyone can play
- Unplug & Play: ideas and activities to balance screen time and play time
- Parent Child Place Program Schedule
- Guelph Parent /Child Program Guide
- Snacktivities (small space activities)
- Nature Play: 51 things to do before you’re 12
- 7 Obstacle Course Ideas for Kids of All Ages
- Canadian Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines: your plan to get active every day
- Sip Smart! Ontario
- Rethink your Drink
- How can I get my child to drink more water?
- Healthy Beverages Ideas and Activities for Children