March 21, 2017
About the project
The Wilson Street parking project includes the following components:
- Building a parkade in the Wilson Street parking lot, located at the southwest corner of Wilson Street and Carden Street. The parkade will have a minimum of 350 parking spaces and be a maximum of six levels tall.
- Upgrading Wilson Street from Gordon /Norfolk Street to Macdonell Street. This work is being implemented as a Schedule B Municipal Class Environmental Assessment, and will include:
- Traffic studies and a possible change in the traffic direction (e.g. one-way moving north from Gordon /Norfolk Street to Northumberland Street)
- Road repaving;
- Sidewalk upgrades;
- Adding bike lane(s);
- Watermain, sanitary and storm sewers replacement;
- Potential redesign of on-street parking along Wilson Street (from Northumberland Street to Macdonell Street); and
- Creating a pedestrian island on Macdonell Street across from Wilson Street
- Replacing the aging pedestrian bridge over Norfolk Street, located between Waterloo Avenue/Wilson Street and Macdonell Street.
The Wilson Street parkade will start to address the current shortage of available parking spaces in Guelph’s growing downtown. This parkade is one of the first steps to implementing the Parking Master Plan.
Timeline and cost
- Hire consultant team to assist with the project: March-April 2016
- Public consultation to receive input on Wilson Street and parkade features and design: April-June 2016
- Develop a request for proposal (RFP) process and documents to hire a design-build team for the parkade: April-June 2016
- Develop Wilson Street reconstruction design: April-July 2016
- Confirm parkade design details and next steps with Council: July 2016
- Issue the design-build RFP for the parkade: July-August 2016
- Issue tender and hire contractor to do construction work along Wilson Street: August-September 2016
- Review design-build RPF submissions: September 2016 2016 NOTE: The four proposals received through the RFP significantly exceed the approved budget. As a result RFP 16-135 was canceled and a new RFP will be re-scoped and re-issued. Read the Wilson Street Parking Structure – Contract # 16-135 Update report for details.
- Recommend design-build team to Council for approval: To be determined based on results of re-issued RFP
- Phase 1 of Wilson Street construction: (underground utilities from Northumberland Street to Gordon Street): October-December 2016
- Start Wilson Street parkade construction: To be determined based on results of re-issued RFP
- Phase 2 of Wilson Street construction (surface and underground work from Northumberland Street to Macdonell Street): Summer 2017
- Phase 3 of Wilson Street, the completion of the surface works from Gordon to Northumberland Streets has been integrated into the Wilson Street Parkade RFP to be completed during that construction project.
- Complete Wilson Street parkade construction: To be determined based on results of re-issued RFP
It is anticipated that the whole project, including the Wilson Street parkade and on-street reconstruction, will be complete by the spring of 2019.
Council approved $13.8 million for the design and construction of the Wilson Street parkade as part of the 2016 capital budget. Funding for the reconstruction of Wilson Street and the Norfolk Street pedestrian bridge will be provided through the City’s infrastructure capital budget; exact cost to be determined once street and bridge design is finalized.
Every effort will be taken to ensure the construction of this project minimizes impacts on local residents, businesses and downtown parking.
Sections of Wilson Street and Northumberland Street will be closed to vehicular traffic during construction. Pedestrian and cyclist access along Wilson Street will remain open throughout most of the project.
Check back here for updates on construction impacts throughout the project.
- Wilson Street Schedule B Municipal Class Environmental Assessment – Information Report (February 2017)
- Request for proposal to hire a performance specification consultant for the Wilson Street parkade (February 2016)
- Request for proposal to hire a design and construction consultant for Wilson Street construction (March 2016)
- Guelph’s Parking Master Plan
- Downtown Guelph Streetscape Manual
- Temporary Macdonell Street pedestrian island pilot project (Summer 2015)
- Streetscape upgrades outlined in the Downtown Streetscape Manual
- Replacement of asphalt
- Sidewalk upgrades
- Cycling facilities
- On-Street parking
- Watermain, Sanitary, and Storm Sewer replacement
- Pedestrian refuge island at MacDonell
- Review of grading at building entrances
- Possible changes to direction of traffic (Panels 1 to 5)
- Possible cross section elements to be included (Panels A and B), such as:
- Cycling Facilities
- On-Street Parking
- Pedestrian and Streetscape Elements
Public Open House materials
Wilson Street reconstruction panels
Materials from the April 4, 2017 public meeting
Materials from the July 20, 2016 public meeting
Materials from the April 21 and 26, 2016 public open house
4 MBWilson Street reconstruction panels – Printer friendly version
Upgrading Wilson Street from Gordon / Norfolk Street to Macdonell Street will generally include:
The City of Guelph is looking for feedback from the public on a number of conceptual design alternatives being presented at this meeting. The main topics of focus include:
Please provide your written feedback using the contact information listed under the Contact tab.
Wilson Street Parkade panels1 MBWilson Street Parkade panels – Printer friendly version
71 kBUrban Design Principles for Wilson Parkade and Pedestrian Bridge
Environmental Assessment Study documents
- Municipal Class Environmental Assessment Schedule Recommendation (letter)
- Problem statement – Wilson Street Environmental Assessment
- Notice of study commencement – Wilson Street Environmental Assessment
- April 2016 open house panels – Wilson Street reconstruction
- April comment sheet (blank) – Wilson Street reconstruction
- July public open house panels – Wilson Street reconstruction
- July comment sheet (blank) – Wilson Street reconstruction
- Comment summary from public meeting #1
- Comment summary from public meeting #2
- Downtown advisory committee consultation summary
- Transportation impact study – Wilson Street
- Cultural heritage resource assessment – Wilson Street
- Socio-economic assessment – Wilson Street
- Stage 1 archaeological assessment – Wilson Street
- Alternative Solutions for Wilson Street
- Evaluation Matrix – Wilson Street
- Preferred Design Concept for Wilson Street
For more information
Wilson Street parkade and
Norfolk Street pedestrian
Ian Panabaker, Corporate Manager
519-822-1260 extension 2475
Wilson Street reconstruction
Engineering and Capital Infrastructure Services
519-822-1260 extension 2338