Gordon Street pilot project: green bike lanes

Waterloo Avenue to Wellington Street

The City of Guelph is piloting and evaluating changes to Gordon Street southbound bike lanes to decrease the number of collisions between motor vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians in this area.

Gordon Street bike lanes will be painted green from Waterloo Avenue to 15 meters north of Waterloo Avenue, and from Surrey Street to 15 meters north of Wellington Street. Painted lines marking the bicycle lanes will be thicker to increase visibility and wide enough (20 centimetres) to provide some additional buffer from vehicular traffic.

These changes will make bicycle lanes more visible, signaling all road users to use extra caution at intersections and driveways, and reminding turning vehicles to slow down and watch for other road users, including cyclists and pedestrians.

Background

This pilot project was developed in response to the high number of reported collisions involving vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists on Gordon Street between Waterloo Avenue and Wellington Street.

Collision statistics for January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2015:

  • 260 reported collisions involving 32 bicycles (12.3 per cent) and nine pedestrians (3.5 per cent) representing a combined 15.8 per cent of collisions
    • These collisions cause injury 66 per cent of the time
  • 63 per cent of collisions occurred while cyclists were behaving according to the rules of the road
  • 9 per cent of collisions were the result of cyclists failing to yield the right-of-way
  • 62 per cent of collisions were the result of turning movements (sideswipes) into and out of businesses and roads along this stretch

There are frequent conflicts between drivers and active transportation users on this stretch of the road. A number of hazardous factors contribute to the challenge:

  • Southbound (downhill) cyclists are travelling close to the speed of drivers
  • Traffic volumes create lengthy queues that block driveways and side streets, and make it difficult for turning vehicles to see cyclists and pedestrians
  • Drivers who wave turning vehicles through into driveways and cross streets may not be seeing oncoming cyclists and pedestrians, nor can the driver that is turning
  • Visual noise such as signs and traffic activity make this section of road busy and distracting
  • There are many closely-spaced driveways and cross streets that create potential conflict points as different road users cross paths

Bike lane painting is aimed at improving road safety for all users and to reduce conflicts.

Share your thoughts

The City will provide opportunities for feedback from cyclists, pedestrians and drivers after lane painting occurs. Opportunities to share feedback will be posted in the Latest Updates section and promoted on Facebook and Twitter.

Latest updates

 

For more information

Allister McIlveen,
Manager of Transportation Services
Transportation Services, Infrastructure Design and Enterprise Services
519-822-1260 extension 2275
allister.mcilveen@guelph.ca

Jennifer Juste,
Transportation Demand Management Coordinator
Transportation Services, Infrastructure Design and Enterprise Services
519-822-1260 extension 2791
jennifer.juste@guelph.ca