The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary positions of Winter Patroller in the Operations Department. Committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, successful candidates will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work
24 hours per week working night or day shifts during the winter control season starting in December. Some flexibility may be required, however the anticipated shift schedule would include:
- Friday, 11 p.m. to 11 a.m.
- Saturday, 11 p.m. to 11 a.m.
- Friday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Saturday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Operate equipment relating to Sidewalk Winter Control operations including but not limited to Sidewalk Plow with Plow Blade or Snow Blower Attachment
- Actively participate in a team environment
- Complete daily logs and time sheets
- Report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, equipment/property damage, etc.
- Report variances to daily work plans
- Comply with all applicable regulations/requirements
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a grade 12 education and a minimum 2 years roads winter control experience. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a Class G licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge & experience in road maintenance and winter control activities and in the operation of equipment required for road maintenance and winter control technologies.
- A DZ licence and Completion of the Ontario Good Roads Association’s T.J. Mahoney Road School is an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and work order software (ie. WAM)
- Effective communication, customer service and problem solving skills.
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team. Must be a reliable self-starter and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly.
- Must possess a working knowledge and understanding of Book 7 and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Rate of pay
$24.65 per hour
Mandatory Orientation: You will be required to attend an orientation session scheduled for early November. Further details will be provided.
How to apply
Applications must be received online.
Please follow the instructions and follow all steps to the process.
Please note first consideration will be given to those applications received by September 8, 2017.
Applications received after September 8 will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
Note: In order to be considered for this position you must complete all of the steps when creating your profile. This will include a short online screening questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. If you have already created a profile, you may simply login to begin your application.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.