The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Support Technician with the Information Technology Department. Reporting to the Supervisor of Client Services is responsible for providing support to customers using City approved software and hardware. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the City that makes a difference.
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30 pm. This position has the requirement for providing on-site IT support for evening council meetings on a rotation basis.
- Provide first and second level support to internal City of Guelph clients. Troubleshoot, diagnose, and provide timely solutions to problems encountered by customers. Work with other team members, vendors, or third party support organizations to provide solutions to problems.
- Stay current on policies and initiatives in the delivery of customer service
- Perform changes to customers’ user interface as required to best utilize applications.
- Provide training and support on existing and new software packages as directed.
- Provide backup to other Information Technology staff as required.
- Assist end users with resolving software/hardware problems, network communication and connectivity issues over the phone or through remote control tools.
- Recommend solutions to identified technical, procedural, or process issues.
- Resolve problems using electronic tools, manuals and technical support documentation.
- Perform hardware/software installation, de-installation, support/upgrades, moves, adds and changes.
- Log all incoming calls and form requests, ensuring all required information is captured into the Help Desk Incident Management Database (HEAT).
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Diploma in Computer Science or other related discipline and 2 – 3 years experience in application/hardware support in a PC based Client/Server, Local Area Network Environment. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a valid class G driver’s licence with access to a vehicle.
- Knowledge of Microsoft XP, Windows 7, Microsoft Server operating systems and Active Directory, network printing environment and all Microsoft Office products.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments in order to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Must be a reliable self-starter able to work alone or with supervision.
- Ability to problem solving and good decision-making skills.
- Ability to perform basic NTFS file system administration.
- Ability to perform basic printer administration tasks such as (adding printers, modifying printer properties, deleting print jobs etc.)
- Ability to perform basic Active Directory administration tasks such as enabling/disabling accounts, making modifications to distribution lists, AD groups etc.
- Able to perform physical requirements of position (e.g. lifting up to 50 pounds).
- A+ Certification, Microsoft certifications, and/or other certifications such as HP, Network + are an asset.
- ITIL Foundation certification would be an asset.
- Previous experience using remote control tools (Microsoft SMS) and HEAT helpdesk software would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Cisco Call Manager and CISCO unity to add/remove/delete phones, extensions, voicemail boxes etc. is an asset.
$30.02.-$36.88 per hour
How to Apply:
Applications must be received online by October 29, 2013. Please note you will be required to complete a short online questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. To apply for this position click on the “Apply for this Job” icon, instructions will follow.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.