The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Located in the heart of downtown Guelph, the Sleeman Centre is a state of the art facility that opened in September of 2000. With a seating capacity of 5,000 people, the Sleeman Centre is used for concerts, trade shows, conferences and various sporting events. It is also the home of the 2014 OHL champion, Guelph Storm.
This position will provide customer service and arena maintenance in the Sleeman Centre. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the community Vision – to be the City that makes a difference.
- Be prepared to greet all Fans in a welcoming and friendly manner, consistently maintaining a winning attitude when working in Front of House areas.
- Assist with maintenance of ice (shoveling, moving nets, etc.) during hockey events and operating associated equipment as required.
- Patrol facility looking for facility issues, safety hazards, or improper departmental operations, ensuring the safety of all Fans at all times.
- Assist with pre-event operations, including preparing all areas of the facility in advance of event start and gate opening.
- Assist with maintaining safe environment throughout the facility at all times.
- Act as ambassador for the City of Guelph, representing such in a professional manner at all times.
- Empty waste containers and dispose waste in designated areas.
- Ensure that the best Fan Services practices are followed at all times while attending to all job functions.
- Maintain the facility to the expectation of the Fans at all times – continue to strive to exceed Fans expectations at all times.
- Perform general cleaning/ maintenance as assigned throughout each event (ie. sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, washroom/ dressing room cleaning, show shoveling and set-up/ break down of specific event requirements).
- Assist Fans with special needs/ requests that require additional services.
- Adhere to all City of Guelph and facility service standards and policies, including Health and Safety.
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Able to pay close attention to detail.
- Work with enthusiasm and professionalism as a member of operations team at all times.
- Work within the specifications of supervisor or assigned supervisory staff at all times.
- Wear assigned uniform in a professional and well-kept manner.
- Perform any additional tasks as assigned.
- Customer service experience.
- Knowledge of basic operational functions, including affiliated roles & responsibilities
- Experience in event related environment is an asset.
- Able to understand and comprehend all policies and procedures as they relate to the work being performed.
- Able to follow instructions and operate various related cleaning equipment.
- Ability to perform physical work (e.g. lifting, bending, pushing and pulling and standing for long periods of time).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to deal with the public and other staff.
Hours of Work:
The individuals will work evenings, week-ends and holidays (up to 24 hours per week). Our season runs from September 2017 to May 2018. (Approx.)
Interviews will begin in August 2017; however, applications will be accepted until
September 8, 2017.
Rate of Pay:
$11.40 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday, August 11, 2017.
To access the online application system, please click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.