The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The City of Guelph Recreation Division offers a variety of recreation program for people of all ages and abilities in weekly sessions throughout the school year.
Reporting to the Recreation Program Coordinator, successful candidates will lead or help facilitate preschool, children, youth or family programming.
The Recreation Division is looking for Program Lead Instructors and Program Instructors who have direct experience working with groups in a recreational program setting.
HOURS OF WORK:
Depending on the program(s) the instructor is hired for, the hours will include the program time (which is generally anywhere between 1 and 3 hours) and up to a half hour for preparation and half hour for take down.
Programs we are hiring for could be offered on one or more weekday morning, afterschool/evening, and daytime on Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon on a weekly basis.
We are looking for program staff in the following areas/skill sets:
- Ball hockey
- Preschool programs (ages 0-6)
- Self Defence
- Create a welcoming environment for all participants
- Lead/assist with all aspects of programming including planning, preparation and set up/take down.
- Lead activities and fully engage with participants in all activities.
- Communicate with the program team, and participant’s support person/family as appropriate
- Provide fully inclusive program to participants of all abilities and understanding and encouragement to each child
- Ensure participant confidentiality
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working with specified age group for program
- Familiarity in working with participants with special needs
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development certification (willing to obtain within 3 months)
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer
- Standard first Aid with CPR C is an asset.
- Full availability is required for scheduled program day and time
RATE OF PAY:
$11.50- $14.45 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE AND REQUIREMENTS:
Friday, September 8, 2017
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter highlighting skill set (ie. preschool, dance, art, nature/environment, theatre, athletic background) and availability (ie. Mondays 9 am-12 pm and Saturdays 9 am to 2 pm) to:
Sarah Farwell, Public Services Recreation Division at the West End Community Centre or Email: email@example.com
For more information about some of the programs we are hiring for, please reference programs listed in preschool, children’s and youth sections in the Guelph Community Guide at guelph.ca/recreation
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.