The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Manager, Finance Client Services within the Finance Department. Reporting to the Treasurer / General Manager, Finance, the successful candidate will provide leadership and corporate accountability in areas of financial planning, budgeting and analysis. The successful candidate will foster an environment where the Finance Client Services division is viewed by the Corporation as trusted financial advisors and partners in service delivery. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Provide financial analysis and advice to City departments and local boards. Build and maintain productive and mutually beneficial relationships with these clients to support financial accountability, innovation and efficiencies.
- Oversee the development and approval of annual operating and capital budget requirements for the City of Guelph including non-tax programs, local boards, and shared service providers. Responsibilities include delivery of staff training, quality control, multi-year forecasting, coordination of service departments, and various communication deliverables.
- Oversee corporate variance reporting process for operating and capital budgets. Responsibilities include coordination and delivery of quarterly Council reports and monthly Management reports, recommendation for corporate yearend surplus/deficit position and raising concerns to Treasurer where required.
- Review and approve financial data relating to departmental reporting requirements for external grants, shared services and other as required.
- Review and approve “Financial Implication” language in client department Council reports, raising concerns to Treasurer where required.
- Responsible for supporting, reviewing and/or approving financial implications resulting from compensation related matters including annual mark-up rate generation, collective bargaining costing templates, legislative change impacts and other as required.
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement to create effective and efficient business practices.
- Develop policies and procedures relating to budget development and monitoring and other as required.
- Prepare reports, presentations and training materials for management and Council as required. Attend City Council and Committee meetings as required.
- Assist in the maintenance and enhancement of the City’s budget and financial reporting systems.
- Investigate best practices, conduct research and report results to align with departmental goals.
- Develop and nurture a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff.
- Provide leadership and guidance to staff, create performance development plans, establish objectives and monitor results.
- Actively participate and contribute to the strategic goals and objectives of the Corporate Services division and the CAO’s Office.
- Assist the Treasurer/General Manager with special projects as required.
- Significant experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through several years of progressively responsible experience, preferably in a municipal environment plus the completion of a University Degree in Business, Commerce, Accounting or Finance and a Professional Accounting Designation.
- Demonstrated leadership skills acquired through considerable experience supervising, leading and motivating staff.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proven analytical, organizational and change management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in effective financial budgeting and variance reporting for large complex organizations.
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Advanced skills with financial reporting software, JD Edwards and FMW RAC experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office software – Advanced Excel skills preferred.
- Municipal accounting experience would be considered an asset.
$95,371.24 – $119,214.05
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by sending their resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Sunday, May 28, 2017.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.