The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Located in the heart of downtown Guelph, the Sleeman Centre is a state of the art facility that opened in September of 2000. With a seating capacity of 5,000 people, the Sleeman Centre is used for concerts, trade shows, conferences and various sporting events. It is also the home of the 2014 OHL champion, Guelph Storm.
This position will provide security needs and calls for service to all patrons and employees. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the community Vision – to be the City that makes a difference.
- Respond to all security needs and calls for services; secure areas of facility for escalated emergency response, if necessary.
- Provide excellent customer service to all patrons and employees.
- Greet all Fans in a welcoming and friendly manner, consistently maintaining a winning attitude
- Conduct regular inspections of assigned and deployed positions; ensuring the safety of all Fans at all times.
- Write reports; ensuring accuracy of reported data and proper report presentation.
- Maintain secure environment throughout Sleeman Centre at all times.
- Familiarity with the City of Guelph and local attractions.
- Act as ambassador for the City of Guelph.
- Inform Fans of seat locations and provide assistance where needed.
- Retrieve and verify Fans’ tickets, as required.
- Follow ticket ripping/ scanning protocol as outlined in team training.
- Assist Fans with special needs/ requests that require additional services.
- Adhere to all City of Guelph and Sleeman Centre service standards and policies, including Health and Safety.
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Able to pay close attention to detail.
- Work with enthusiasm and professionalism at all times.
- Perform any additional tasks as assigned.
- Experience and training in providing security services.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain a valid Ontario Security License, as defined by the Private Security and Investigative Services Act.
- Knowledge of Event Services and affiliated roles & responsibilities.
- Excellent customer service, client relations, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in event related role is an asset.
- Must be accurate and detail oriented.
- Ability to perform physical work (e.g. lifting, bending, walking, climbing stairs and standing for long periods of time).
- Knowledge of Alcohol Control Policies in event driven industry.
- Possess or be willing to obtain a valid Smart Serve Certification.
Hours of Work:
The individuals will work evenings, week-ends and holidays (up to 24 hours per week). Our season runs from September 2017 to May 2018. (Approx.)
Interviews will begin in August 2017; however, applications will be accepted until
September 8, 2017.
Rate of Pay:
$15.57 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday, August 11, 2017. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.