The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Licensed Automotive/Truck and Coach Technician within the Operations Department. Reporting to the Supervisor of Fleet Services, the successful candidate will have a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, rotating shifts – 8:00am to 4:00pm, 4:00pm to 12:00am and 12:00 am to 8:00 am – Monday to Friday. Winter control on-call support is required.
- Responsible for the inspection, maintenance and repair of all systems on various types of light and heavy vehicles and equipment.
- Hydraulic repairs and service.
- Accurate and legible record keeping.
- Maintaining a neat, tidy and clean work place.
- Assisting with Apprentice training.
- Perform maintenance activities as required.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a grade 12 diploma and 5 years relevant experience in the maintenance and repair of light and heavy vehicles and equipment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess both a valid Automotive (310S) & Truck and Coach Technician (310T) Licence.
- A valid ‘DZ’ drivers licence or have a valid G licence with the ability to obtain DZ within a specified timeframe in the position; have a good driving record and proven ability to operate heavy equipment and vehicles in a safe manner. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Must be computer literate and familiar with electronic diagnosis equipment.
- Computer keyboarding skills.
- Knowledge of WHMIS and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ability to perform heavy lifting, various levels of standing, climbing, sitting & crouching as required.
- Must be a reliable self-starter and able to prioritize tasks according to changing demands and work with or without supervision.
- Must be neat in appearance and able to communicate in a cordial manner.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment and have a sincere focus on quality customer service.
Rate of pay:
$32.86 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system; first consideration will be given to those who apply by March 27, 2017. Please submit your resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please click on the “Apply for this job” icon below. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.