The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Information and Access Coordinator will assist in the implementation and growth of the City’s corporate access and privacy and records management programs. This role will be integral to ensuring accountability and transparency through the Freedom of Information (FOI) process and supporting the implementation of the City’s first Records and Information Management (RIM) Strategy. They will manage the day to day functions of the access and privacy and records management programs with a focus on providing both internal and external customer service to all levels of City staff and the public. This position supports all corporate service areas regarding records and information management, as well as, access and privacy initiatives and processes, including the FOI process legislated under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Access and Privacy Management
- Responsible for managing and autonomous decision making for FOI requests received under MFIPPA, including complaints and appeals and reporting with the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC).
- Where required, reports receipt of sensitive FOI requests to and works collaboratively with the Program Manager and City Clerk to respond and release records accordingly.
- Assists the Program Manager to develop policies and procedures related to MFIPPA and revise existing policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Supports in the development and delivery of education and training for City staff on FOI procedures and to ensure compliance with the City’s obligations under MFIPPA with respect to disclosure of information and protection of privacy.
- Facilitates staff inquiries regarding privacy processes and requirements in all service areas, involving politically sensitive, confidential and personal information.
- Assists with formal and informal privacy assessments for internal City projects, including Privacy Impact Assessments.
Records and Information Management
- Assists the Program Manager, Information, Privacy and Elections to implement and administer an effective organization-wide RIM program in accordance with policies, standards, best practices, and legislative requirements.
- Supports the development and implementation of various projects as part of the RIM Strategy.
- Operationalizes regular records retention by-law updates and routine storage and lawful destruction of records with all departments/ programs areas, including the annual records destruction initiative.
- Consults with internal staff at all levels to provide advice on records retention and best practices.
- Assists the Program Manager to develop and implement policies, procedures and resources for the orientation and training of staff to support the RIM program.
- Analyzes and develops recommendations for new/improved RIM practices.
- Assists with conducting periodic reviews and formal audits of RIM compliance.
- Ensures a safe and healthy environment by complying with health and safety policies, practices and programs.
- Assists with various Municipal Election duties as assigned.
- Provides support to the City Clerk’s Department and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary education in Records and Information Management, Library Science, Public Administration or a related discipline and experience in access and privacy management and/or records and information management. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- A team player with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations with a keen sense of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage projects including organizing and planning projects of various sizes and scope.
- Knowledge of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) and/or the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) legislation.
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Ability to plan, implement and deliver training programs.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
- Ability to perform the physical aspects of the position (e.g. bending, lifting & moving boxes of up to 20lbs).
- Access and privacy experience in a public sector environment considered an asset.
$32.05-$40.07 (2016 rates)
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, March 26, 2017. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please click on the “Apply for this job” icon below. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.