The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Development Planner /Site Plan Coordinator within the Planning Services Department of the Planning, Building, Engineering and Environment Service Area. Reporting to the Manager of Development Planning, the successful candidate will coordinate and administer the Site Plan Review Process. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Occasional evening work would be required to attend meetings.
- Coordinate and administer the Site Plan Review Process.
- Assist with the implementation of the City’s Urban Design efforts.
- Be the main contact for the Site Plan Review Process and Committee.
- Resolve issues related to individual applications and the Site Plan Approval Process, on the whole, in a timely and effective manner.
- Coordinates enquiries and questions related to the Site Plan Approval Process. Effectively provide “one stop shopping” for Site Plan and related planning questions.
- Be available for pre-consultation on future site plan applications.
- Focus on continuous improvement efforts related to the site plan process (e.g. updating procedures, requirements and site plan by-law) as required.
- Maintaining site plan approval data bases.
- Provide continuous, excellent, top quality customer service.
- Act as expert witness at Ontario Municipal Board and other Tribunals, as required.
- Engage in public consultation, where required and appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as assigned particularly related to other planning functions.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a degree in Urban and Regional Planning or closely related field and 2 – 3 years planning or urban design experience, preferably in a municipal development planning environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a valid Class “G” driver’s licence with a good driving record.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Ontario Professional Planner’s Institute (OPPI) and the Canadian Institute of Planning(CIP)
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in the application and interpretation of the Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement (PPS), Provincial Growth Plan and other relevant legislations, policies and guidelines
- Experience in computer aided drafting and modeling (i.e. AutoCAD, SketchUp, ArcGIS 9) is an asset
- Good working knowledge of computer based planning applications and MS Office
- Demonstrated leadership and negotiation skills, able to set priorities, solve problems, and meet deadlines.
- Experience at the Ontario Municipal Board or other tribunals, an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to provide a solution oriented, customer service approach using good judgement, creativity and strategic thinking
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
$ 32.99 – $40.49 per hour
How to Apply:
Applications must be received online by October 29, 2013. To apply for this position click on the “Apply for this Job” icon, instructions will follow. This will include a short online screening questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. You will also need to attach both your cover letter and resume saved as one document.Apply For This Job
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.