The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
As the first person citizens encounter, the Customer Service Representative will be the face of the City of Guelph and will deliver exceptional centralized customer service by providing assistance to City Hall customers in a friendly and professional manner. Your citizen-centric, service-oriented approach will be the key to building positive customer experiences. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Performing a variety of financial and non-financial transactions including processing payments (e.g. parking tickets, transit tickets/passes, tax payments, licensing payments, and general sales), processing registrations and memberships, accepting applications, documents, and forms, and responding to general inquiries.
- Processing statutory services including issuing marriage licences and signing burial permits.
- Handling calls through the corporate switchboard and TTY.
- Responding to corporate e-mail inquiries.
- Sorting and processing corporate mail.
- Operating and balancing a cash drawer.
- Creating a positive experience for customers by responding to their service needs quickly, professionally, and accurately with a solution that meets their requirements.
- Conducting ongoing maintenance of forms, information, and data required to deliver services.
- Take the initiative to promote the City services and programs that meet each customer’s individual needs.
- Take ownership of customer concerns and be proactive to ensure a positive resolution for the customer.
- Make qualified assessments and referrals of complex issues to the correct department/division or agency.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and one year post-secondary education (e.g. business, accounting, customer service, etc.) and 2-3 years customer service experience (both in-person and by phone) in an high customer interaction environment. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Experience handling a high-volume of customer transactions (e.g. cash, cheque, debit and credit card), operating a point of sale system, balancing, and ensuring the security/safeguarding of these transactions.
- Knowledge and ability to understand a broad range of City services, programs, and initiatives.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints both in-person and over the phone using creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to communicate with public and all levels of staff and elected officials.
- Ability to work in an efficient manner and be detail-oriented with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to work on your own and in a team environment and enjoy sharing knowledge with others.
- Excellent organizational skills and planning skills.
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing work environments and to grasp and implement new concepts.
- Intermediate skills in MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Previous experience with Class, JD Edwards, and WAM is an asset.
$24.40-$29.96 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Wednesday April 26, 2017. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.