The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, Recreation Support Services, the Customer Service Assistant II is responsible for providing front-line customer service to patrons at recreation centres; in person, and on the telephone. Additionally, this position will assist with clerical work, including data entry, filing, etc.
Through efficient processes and timely communication, the Assistant will provide excellent customer service, both internally and externally. Consistent with the team approach, this position will contribute in the delivery of the Department’s programs and services through clerical support, special projects and other general duties as assigned.
Hour of Work:
The position is scheduled up to 20 hours per week, including evening and weekend hours.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the City of Guelph in a professional manner at all times
- Provide excellent customer service to both external and internal customers.
- Maintain positive, open communication with participants, residents, visitors and other staff.
- Promote and educate public on Parks and Recreation programs, services and facilities.
- Assist with solutions to inquiries, concerns and complaints from patrons; keeping supervisor informed of issues that require further attention or escalation.
- Process program registrations, membership/pass sales, and sundry sales.
- Process financial transactions in accordance with Cash Handling procedures and protocol as it related to the position.
- Balance cash floats and receipts at beginning and end of each shift.
- Prepare daily reconciliation documentation and secure funds for deposit.
- Maintain promotional materials at facility, ensuring that current information is reflected.
- Perform other administrative tasks including maintaining attendance records, filing, printing and copying as necessary.
- Maintain reception area neat, clean and welcoming.
- Work effectively as part of a team; attend team meetings and training sessions.
- Be responsible to work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and the City of Guelph policies and Corporate values (V.I.E.W.)
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma.
- Two years’ experience in front line customer service and clerical duties. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent customer service and problem solving skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Cash handling and cash reconciliation skills
- Good organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment including community groups, agencies and organizations
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Experience using CLASS software would be an asset
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written)
- Knowledge of the City of Guelph Parks and Recreation programs, services and facilities.
- Experience working within a Parks and Recreation environment would be an asset (ie. Summer Camps, Aquatics, Parks and Recreation programming, etc)
- This position would be required to work at different facilities throughout the City
Rate of Pay:
$15.34 per hour
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should apply online. First consideration will be given to those applications received by Wednesday, September 6, 2017. Applications submitted after that date will be reviewed on an as needed basis. Please note, candidates will be required to complete a short questionnaire at the time of application.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.