The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for temporary position of Cleaner with the Parks and Recreation Department-Recreation Division. The successful candidate will be part of a team to ensure we are providing clean, safe and well maintained recreation facilities that include arenas, pools (indoor and outdoor), multiple community rooms, auditorium/gymnasium, a pottery centre, and a seniors centre and other public areas. Excellent customer service is essential. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work:
This position could be any five (5) consecutive shifts of eight (8) hours between the hours of 4:00 am – 1:00 am Sunday through Saturday (rotation will be involved).
- Provide efficient and important daily cleaning services that may include dusting, sweeping,vacuuming, shampooing, washing floors, mirrors and windows, cleaning washrooms,washroom fixtures, counter tops, tables, chairs, work rooms, utility rooms, kitchens,fridges, stoves, microwaves, etc., and garbage removal.
- Use and care of commercial scrubbers/swing buffers/carpet cleaners and other cleaning equipment
- Provide legislated standard cleaning to KidsAbility Centre for Child Development, our Aquatic Centres and a commercial kitchen at Evergreen Seniors Community Centre
- Ensure sufficient inventory of cleaning products, hygiene products and associated equipment/products and stocking of same
- Respond to emergency clean-ups and spills, and plunge washrooms fixtures as required.
- Shovel snow, salt walkways/entrances, change light bulbs and execute minor work within an office environment.
- Assist other team members of the facilities in day to day activities that may include set ups/tear downs, early morning opening of facilities, and special event related duties.
- Travel to and from recreation facilities, arenas and seniors centre.
- Provide excellent customer service to patrons attending recreation facilities
- Enter time through WAM (Synergen).
- Maintain facility quality and safety by adhering to predetermined building cleaning and operating standards, maintaining all required documentation of day to day work.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and 3-6 months experience in a facility using cleaning equipment/cleaning products and performing basic building maintenance activities using small hand and power tools. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Beginner computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Ability to deal with the internal and external contacts in a courteous and efficient manner.
- Must be able to perform physical repetitive work (e.g. lifting, walking, bending, climbing ladders, pushing and pulling with moderate exertion).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must be able to work alone and with supervision.
- Working positively and in co-operation with other team members is an important part of this position.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid First Aid and CPR certificate.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check would be required at time of offer.
$23.30 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by sending their cover letter and resume as one document at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, April 23, 2017. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.