The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Business Relationship Advisor within the Information Technology Department. Reporting to the General Manager, Technology and Innovation, this position will provide the leadership necessary to better connect corporate work plans to IT initiatives in order enable business through the strategic use of technology. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan, Corporate Technology Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Establishes and maintains strategic relationships with key stakeholders across the corporation serving as a liaison for business and the IT Department.
- Leads stakeholder (internal and external) business planning and strategy meetings with the goal of developing technology roadmaps for assigned service areas.
- Participates in short and long-term strategic planning sessions with clients to improve business processes.
- Communicates with the organization’s business leaders, project managers, and other stakeholders to ensure awareness of progress, risks, and results.
- Participates and contributes to business client leadership meetings.
- Understands and anticipates direction of assigned service area, identifies opportunities and makes recommendations to support the desired future state of the business.
- Represents both the business strategies and priorities to the Information Technology department as well as the overall IT vision to the business.
- Promotes business knowledge of IT process, roles, and procedures to ensure the best possible outcome.
- Acts as an advocate for the needs and technology requirements of the business.
- Ensures IT divisions are aware of key business issues.
- Identifies and mitigates potential problems and conflicts with IT delivery.
- Leads and champions change management activities, mitigates resistance in order to minimize disruption and achieve the desired results.
- Act as prime for Service Request originating from the assigned service area (Corporate Service, Public Services, Infrastructure, Development and Enterprise Services) ensuring that the delivered product or service meets customer satisfaction.
- Ensures stakeholder’s expectations are set and identifies/resolves disconnects through negotiation or governance mechanisms.
- Develops, in conjunction with clients, performance management metrics to track progress and measure efficiencies gained through technology and process improvement.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Business or a related field and considerable experience in linking clients or business groups with information technology. Candidates with the equivalent combination or education and experience may be considered.
- Experience successfully leading large, complex projects and/or in business/IT consulting/management roles.
- Leadership and negotiation skills with the ability to work with clients and develop solutions to problems.
- Knowledge of business, business requirements and IT processes.
- Ability to provide status and information reports on multiple projects and developing process to streamline data/information collection for projects.
- Able to handle multiple and changing priorities and coordinate available resources accordingly.
- Advanced competency with Microsoft Office Suite and project portfolio management packages such as Eclipse, Clarity or Microsoft Enterprise Project.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
$78,810.65 – $98,513.31 (per year)
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday, August 4, 2017. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.