The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Business Performance Specialist will be part of Infrastructure, Development, and Enterprise Services and report to the General Manager of Facilities Management. The position will be a departmental resource responsible for conducting business process reviews and related initiatives that drive continuous improvement and opportunities for greater efficiency and effectiveness in service delivery. Committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the successful candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the City that makes a difference.
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Some flexibility would be required to attend evening meetings.
- Conduct business process reviews under the direction of the GM of Facilities Management.
- Support management by providing consulting services in business process and continuous improvement.
- Build competencies and capacity within the department to measure service performance and enhance management approaches and practices with appropriate tools i.e. project management, risk assessment, business case development, communications, budgeting, compliance issues, documentation.
- Analyse business processes throughout the department to identify opportunities for service optimization and cost efficiencies.
- Research best practices and make recommendations for implementation.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new processes within the department.
- Assist the GM of Facilities Management with research, analysis, field work and reporting, communications, and budget preparation.
- Prepare reports and presentations for Management and Council.
- Provide business improvement expertise, consulting and support to all divisions within Facilities Management.
- Conduct statistical analysis to identify performance trends and improvement opportunities.
- Track key performance indicator (KPI) metrics and assist with the implementation of corrective actions.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in Business Administration, Operations Management or a related field with considerable experience in a quality assurance or continuous improvement-oriented role. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in various facilitation models including public meetings and presentations.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma or Lean principles would be an asset.
- Knowledge of performance measurement methods and statistical analysis.
- Ability to prepare complex statistical reports and efficiency calculations.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- A team player with excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, able to respect and deal with highly confidential and sensitive issues.
- Ability to analyze problems/opportunities for efficiencies and make recommendations for improvements.
- Excellent change management and project management skills.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Internal Audit experience is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of municipal infrastructure, asset management, and energy management would be an asset.
- Business Process Improvement Certification, Continuous Improvement Certification, Six Sigma Certification would be considered an asset.
$35.26 to $44.07 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday July 10, 2017.
To access the online application system, please click on the “Apply for this job” icon below. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.