The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The Building Performance Specialist (BPS) is responsible for providing project management and technical expertise to the Corporate Building Maintenance (CBM) and Corporate Energy (CE) divisions of Facilities Management. This position monitors and optimizes the daily operations of our building automation systems (BAS) which control our HVAC and lighting systems to ensure that they are operating in an efficient manner. This position is also responsible for the management, maintenance, trouble-shooting, updating, installation, project management, reporting, commissioning, security, and I.T. matters related to BAS. This position develops, updates, and implements BAS operational and security standards, procedures, and policies with the support of the CBM and CE teams. It also assists with technical troubleshooting and is responsible for overseeing physical and cyber measures, development of BAS and trend data based reports for the purpose of tracking equipment runtimes and energy efficiency, and provision of reporting tools to staff where appropriate. This position works closely with CBM and CE staff, facility managers, outside contractors, consultants, and other departments such as Information Technology.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Analyze operating software, hardware and communications malfunctions to determine problems and take appropriate corrective action.
- Development, implementation, optimization, and maintenance of BAS, development of policies, levels of service, and operating procedures.
- Maintain, upgrade and update all BAS graphic displays, historical data, tag name standards, and real-time data and control databases and displays. Review and improve standards on a regular basis and establish standards where they do not yet exist in consultation with relevant staff and management.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) related to BAS, operations and security for staff in consultation with key staff and management and provide operator training and support. After hours support is also a requirement of this position.
- Prepare and update full preventative maintenance, commissioning, re-commissioning, and replacement program for all BAS assets including hardware and software.
- Perform checks and preventative maintenance where appropriate on BAS servers, virtual server environments, network security and communications.
- Develop daily, weekly, monthly, and annual reports for operational and corporate needs as regulated or requested by various personnel and develop and maintain BAS manuals for all components within the networked environment.
- Maintain, update and configure BAS system computers, file servers, BAS internal Ethernet network and switches and Network architecture drawings for all facilities with BAS systems.
- Develop the Re-commissioning Plans for our facilities based on goals for the project and findings from the initial site visit and information gathering. Prepare the Implementation Plan.
- Submit the Re-commissioning Final Report (a summary of the entire project and O&M guidelines for each measure).
- Develop the next Re-commissioning or Ongoing Commissioning Plan for the owner.
- Provide building operator training on the implemented measures and how to ensure improvements persist over time.
- Develop, perform, document, and oversee functional test procedures, as needed.
- Develop Recommissioning Investigation Report that summarizes findings and provides recommendations for implementation of selected measures.
- Review existing building documentation prior to the initiation of energy efficiency projects
- Perform a detailed on-site assessment of the current operation and maintenance (O&M) practices.
- Perform an initial site walk-through and gather general information about the building.
- Assist in developing a scope of work based on information from the site visit.
- Assist with or oversee implementation of the selected improvements.
- Calculate energy savings and assist with prioritizing the most cost-effective improvements for implementation.
- Perform short-term diagnostic monitoring, using energy management control system (EMCS) trend logging where appropriate.
- Compile verification data by performing post-implementation monitoring and testing activities to verify proper operation.
- Recalculate energy savings based on before and after short-term energy measurements.
- Support asset management programs in the areas of BAS and security
- Must interact with a wide range of people including facility managers, building operators, unionized staff and tradesmen, outside contractors and consultants, and manufacturer representatives.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Red Seal C of Q preferably Refrigeration Mechanic with a minimum G2 gas fitter or 3 year diploma in a Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline with 5 years of experience in BAS programming and maintenance. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience leading projects on time and on budget.
- A valid Class G drivers’ license with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Knowledge of industrial computer hardware (i.e. PLCs) and software applications, computer languages, programming, process control, automation processes, development tools and data communications systems.
- Knowledge of computer networking, security applications and operating systems, including Windows XP, Windows 7 & 8 and Windows Server 2008.
- Familiarity with security systems in BAS systems
- Familiar with network administration, routing, firewalls, DMZs, network and cyber security measures.
- Understanding of real time process control applications such as: JCI, Reliable, Delta, Andover, Tridium/Niagara, and KMC
- Excellent analytical and technical skills, including and ability to analyze, diagnose, and resolve system hardware and software problems.
- NiagaraAx Certification and C.E.M designation
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate technical details (i.e. events, post mortems, analysis) with all levels of staff, stakeholders and consultants.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
Rate of pay:
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Monday January 2, 2017 and submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.