The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The City of Guelph Recreation Division offers a variety of recreation program for older adults in weekly sessions throughout the school year.
Reporting to the Recreation Program Coordinator, successful candidates will teach Beginner watercolour classes (Tuesday) and pastel painting (Thursday).
The Recreation Division is looking for Art instructors who have direct experience working with groups in a recreational program setting.
Hours of work:
Depending on the program(s) the instructor is hired for, the hours will include the program time (which is generally anywhere between 2 and 3 hours) . Programs we are hiring for are offered on one or more weekday morning, afternoon or evening. This will start in the winter session and continue for the spring session with potential for further sessions.
We are looking for program staff in the following areas/skill sets:
- Art – watercolours and pastel painting
- Create a welcoming environment for all participants
- Teach all aspects of programming including planning and preparation.
- Lead activities and fully engage with participants in all activities.
- Communicate with the program team
- Provide fully inclusive program to participants of all abilities and understanding and encouragement to each participant
- Ensure participant confidentiality
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working with older adults in programs
- Familiarity in working with participants with special needs
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respect and maintain participant confidentiality
- Standard first Aid with CPR C is an asset.
- Full availability is required for scheduled program day and time
Rate of pay:
How to apply:
Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter highlighting skill set (i.e. preschool, dance, art, nature/environment, theatre, athletic background) and availability (i.e. Mondays 9 am-12 pm and Saturdays 9 am to 2 pm) by Friday, October 6, 2017 to:
Sarah Farwell, Public Services Recreation Division at the West End Community Centre or Email: email@example.com
For more information about some of the programs we are hiring for, please reference programs listed in preschool, children’s and youth sections in the Guelph Community Guide at guelph.ca/recreation
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.