The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
- Customer Service (respond to customer calls and in-person inquiries).
- Correspond with City staff, residents, community partners, business and industry contacts.
- Support promotional & educational campaigns and communication material development.
- Assist in completing various projects to increase waste minimization and diversion efforts in the City.
- Conduct waste industry research and surveys over the internet, telephone and in person.
- Conduct tours (e.g. food waste research, municipal household disposal rate target).
- Assist administration staff as required including covering telephone reception, record keeping and other clerical duties as assigned.
- Conduct curbside waste audits.
- Data entry (e.g. update cart RFID database).
- Support work on multi-residential properties such as maintaining database, organizing site plan approvals, etc.
- Conduct site visits with residents/businesses to educate and discuss contamination issues.
- Coordinate and schedule inbound and outbound loads; contact customers, haulers, buyers and brokers; track and maintain appropriate inventory for processing and product for sale; create Bills of Lading for clients; track purchase expenditures and sales of commodities revenues.
- Post secondary education in Environmental Science, Technology or Engineering or closely related field and experience in customer service and performing general administrative duties. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid G or G2 driver’s licence with a good driving record and a minimum of 2 years driving experience.
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job including lifting, stacking and un-stacking wheeled carts.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
- Ability to understand and interpret relevant environmental legislation, waste industry trends and issues.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to conduct research, organize and prioritize assignments in order to accomplish multiple projects.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm they have a valid driver’s licence held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
$15.97 – $17.52 depending on education level.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, July 30, 2017. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.