Signs, posters, permits and concerns

Flashing/revolving signs, inflatable signs, signs for home-based businesses, unauthorized signs on utility poles, signs which obstruct the vision of drivers, and signs installed without the required permit do not comply with Guelph’s sign bylaw.

Get a sign permit

Please submit your permit application, drawing and fee for a mobile sign, building sign, freestanding sign (pylon sign), or portable sign (A-frame/sandwich board). If you plan to place the sign on a boulevard (City property) there may be additional regulations.

Permits are NOT required for:

  • Garage/yard sale signs (please remove immediately after the event)
  • A sign for occasional use as set out in the zoning bylaw. real estate signs, posters, open house or model home directional signs, construction or subdivision site sign, or portable sign for a home maintenance contractor
  • A commemorative plaque or cornerstone on your own property that does not advertise
  • Municipal election signs

Get permission for posters

Posters are permitted on approved poster sleeves on utility poles in front of secondary schools and downtown, and on the downtown community board.

Put a sign on the Norfolk Street Bridge

Not-for-profit organizations can apply to ServiceGuelph for permission to place a temporary banner on the Norfolk Street Bridge.

Complete the Norfolk Street Bridge banner application