Basement and accessory apartments

An accessory apartment—commonly known as basement apartment or in-law suite—is permitted in most single-detached and semi-detached houses in Guelph’s R1, R2, CBD2 and OR zones.

To be considered legal, the apartment must be inspected and registered by the City as a two-unit house. To become registered, the property must meet the requirements of the City of Guelph Zoning Bylaw and, either the Ontario Building Code or the Ontario Fire Code, as determined by City of Guelph Building Services.

Register a two-unit house

There is a one-time registration fee for two-unit houses. The fee varies based on:

  • Whether or not the second unit was built with a permit, and
  • Whether or not the owner lives in one of the units.

Registration fees are as follows:

  • Permit (owner occupied) $150
  • Permit (non-owner occupied) $300
  • No permit (owner occupied) $300
  • No permit (non-owner occupied) $600

Complete and submit your registration form.

If it’s determined that you need a building permit, scaled floor plans of the entire house must be submitted along with the building permit fee. All costs related to upgrading a house to meet the requirements of the Ontario Building Code or Ontario Fire Code are the responsibility of the property owner.

For more information registering a two-unit house, please call Building Services at 519-837-5615.

Zoning Information for Two Unit Houses Accessory Apartment Permit Requirements Egress Window Requirements Accessory Apartment Sample Floor Plan Accessory Apartment Space Dimensions Two Unit Registration Form

Related pages