The City of Guelph recently completed its 2018 Development Charges Background Study – Consolidated Report (DC Study). The information gathered was used to inform the updated DC Bylaw and DC rates.
The City engaged Watson and Associates Economists Ltd. to conduct the DC Study and enlisted a stakeholder group—comprised of local residents and representatives from the development community—to ensure the process results in a fair and defendable rate.
The study process involved:
- A forecast of the amount, type and location of development anticipated in the city.
- Determination of the average capital service levels provided in the City over the ten-year period preceding the preparation of the background study.
- A review of the capital infrastructure required to accommodate the forecasted growth including an analysis of gross expenditures and the funding sources, and the determination of the growth and non-growth related components of the capital projects.
- An examination of the long-term capital costs for the capital infrastructure required for each service to which the development charges bylaws would relate.
2018 Development Charge Study
To ensure Guelph’s Development Charges reflect the population forecasted in Ontario’s Places to Grow Act—43,000 new residents and 32,000 new jobs by the year 2031—the Ontario Development Charges Act requires the City to complete a background study at least every five years. The study helps determine growth-related infrastructure needs based on residential and non-residential growth forecast, and apportion the cost of the growth-related infrastructure to the planned growth.
The previous background study took place in 2013 and was used to set the rates in the current bylaw. Guelph’s current Development Charges Bylaw (2014)-19692 will expire on March 2, 2019.
The information gathered through the Background Study will be used to calculate the amount of money that new development needs to pay in order to help cover new infrastructure and services.
Business is important to the City. The Stakeholder Group reviews, consults, and exchanges information regarding the Development Charges Background Study and its process to ensure Development Charges are levied in a fair and equitable manner. The Stakeholder Group reviews capital plans and assumptions that will inform the Development Charges study, and provides feedback relating to:
- Local Service Policy;
- Service standard calculation; and
- Infrastructure needs/capital plan.
The Stakeholder Group is not a decision-making body and does not have the authority to vote, commit City resources or direct the work of employees.
Members of the Stakeholder Group:
- Consider matters, issues or information provided by the Project Team relating to Background Study process, and provide feedback as requested.
- Liaise with the organization they represent (if applicable) to bring forward advice, issues or comments from their organization and to return information and results to the organization from the stakeholder group.
- Strive to operate in a consensus mode where participants openly discuss views and opinions and seek common ground
- Embrace the City of Guelph’s Guiding Principles for Community Engagement and Community Engagement Framework when providing advice or recommendations and when interacting with the Project Team.
Stakeholder Group members are expected to serve for the full extent of the Development Charges Background Study project.
For more information
Christel Gregson, Senior Corporate Analyst Development Charges and Long-term Planning
519-822-1260 extension 3421
Background study material
- Development Charges Study: Stakeholder Input, April 20, 2018
- Development Charges Study: Responses to IBI Memorandum, March 29, 2018
- Development Charges Study: Guelph Wellington Development Association / Guelph and District Home Builders’ Association letter, October 24, 2018
- Development Charges Study: Responses to IBI Memorandum, October 19, 2018
- Development Charges Study: IBI Memorandum regarding Silvercreek Parkway/CN Grade Separation, October 9, 2018
- Development Charges Study: IBI Memorandum #2, October 9, 2018
- Development Charges Study: Responses to stakeholder comments, October 9, 2018
- Development Charges Capital Needs, June 15, 2018
- Development Charges Study: Draft Local Service PolicyDevelopment Charges Study: Stakeholder Input, January 31, 2018
- Development Charges Study capital project summary (2013)
- DC Study External Stakeholder Final Meeting, November 15, 2018
- DC Study External Stakeholder Meeting #4, October 25, 2018
- DC Study: The Cost of Growth, Council Workshop #2, June 27, 2018
- Development Charges stakeholder meeting #3 presentation, May 28, 2018
- Development Charges Study: external stakeholder meeting #2 minutes, March 23, 2018
- Development Charges stakeholder meeting #2 presentation, March 23, 2018
- Local Service Policy: Stakeholder Subcommittee review, April 17, 2018
- DC Study External Stakeholder Meeting #2, March 23, 2018
- Development Charges Council workshop presentation, February 21, 2018
- Development Charges Study stakeholder meeting minutes December 13, 2017