Guelph, ON, March 4, 2016 – Today the City of Guelph is releasing a tender for a general contractor to start renovation work this spring at Guelph Central Train Station.
“The renovation to Guelph Central Station will improve our city’s intermodal transportation hub by creating a shared space for Guelph Transit, Greyhound Canada, GO Transit and VIA Rail services that’s accessible and convenient for all riders,” says Mario Petricevic, general manager of Facilities Management.
The renovation work will include:
- improvements to the main entrance, including new steps and concrete wheelchair ramp
- upgrades to the two public washrooms and an new accessible washroom
- new ticket booths for Greyhound Canada and GO Transit
- the addition of a small management office
- the addition of a lunchroom for Guelph Transit drivers
- new access to the basement
- upgrades to windows, south entrance doors and public seating area
- preserving the existing heritage features
Guelph Central Train Station, located at 79 Carden Street, will remain open to the public during the renovations. The construction work will be completed in phases to allow GO Transit, VIA Rail and Greyhound Canada to continue to operate out of the building during the renovations.
The $2.1 million renovation work is expected to start this May and take 12 to 14 months to complete.
The City previously released a tender for the renovation work in 2013, but was unable to secure a contractor whose fees were within the Council-approved $925,000 budget for the project. Additional funding was approved by Council in December 2015, allowing the tender to be reissued this year.
For more information
Mario Petricevic, General Manager
519-822-1260 extension 2668