Guelph, ON, July 9, 2015 – Earlier today, the City announced it found a metal drum on the construction site near the intersection of Wellington Street and the Hanlon Expressway.
Since then, the City has confirmed that two members of the construction crew experienced some nausea while on site; they were sent to hospital as a precaution and released shortly thereafter.
Also, while removing the affected soil from the site, crews revealed crushed metal debris that appeared to be a second metal drum, meaning the City has removed a total of 44 drums from the site since September 2014:
- Eight drums were removed in September 2014
- One drum was removed during the site examination in November 2014
- 33 drums were removed during remediation May 11 to June 4, 2015
- Two drums were removed today
- Questions and answers about the drums found on Wellington Street construction site
- Historic industrial and landfill activity near Wellington Street construction site
For more information
Kealy Dedman, City Engineer/General Manager
519-822-1260 extension 2248