Guelph’s yard waste collection begins May 11
Put out yard waste this week, and get ready for the City’s semi-annual Goods Exchange Weekend, May 15-18.
Whether you are searching for that special something or looking to get rid of a household item, the Goods Exchange Weekend is a great opportunity to exchange re-usable household items such as furniture, appliances, and toys—for free!
Participating in this community re-use event is easy—just follow the simple tips below:
- Clearly label items you wish to give away as “FREE” and place them at the curb after 5 p.m. on Friday, May 15.
- Prevent misunderstandings by ensuring items such as children’s bikes, toys, and gardening tools are not accidentally left near the curb.
- Over the weekend, tour your neighbourhood to see what great finds are at the curb.
- At the end of the weekend, remove items that were not picked up from your curb.
- All leftover items must be removed from the curb by 7 p.m. on Monday, May 18. Items left at the curb may be subject to a fine or cleanup fee under the Waste Management By-law.
Guelph’s Goods Exchange Weekend is one way the City is working to divert reusable waste from landfill.
Waste diversion rate
For 2013, the City achieved the highest residential waste diversion rate in the province with 69 per cent. This exceeds the 2012 rate which was 67.7 per cent and means the community diverts more materials than is sent to landfill.
Yard waste collection: May 11-23
Over the next two weeks, the City will also be collecting yard waste during the regular waste collection pick-up. Residents who are on the Week B collection stream may place their yard waste out May 11-15, on their regular day. Those on the Week A collection stream may place their yard waste out May 19-23.
Residents looking to provide extra nutrients to their lawn or garden can leave mulched leaves on top to help control weeds or grass clippings can be left on to decompose.
For more information, visit guelph.ca/waste.
For more information
Manager Solid Waste Resources
519-822-1620 extension 2053