A joint media release from the City of Guelph and Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc.
Guelph, ON, May 6, 2015 – Communicators from the City of Guelph and Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc. recently received eight awards for communications excellence.
Pinnacle Awards – Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS), Hamilton Chapter
Pinnacle Awards are prestigious communications awards with a long-standing history of recognizing and rewarding the best public relations programs and projects from the Hamilton, Halton, Niagara and Southwestern Ontario regions.
The Canadian Public Relations Society presented the following awards at an award ceremony held on April 29 in Hamilton:
- City of Guelph communications practitioner, Alison Thompson, received a Pinnacle Award in the Communication Management category for My Guelph, My Vote —a communications program that helped boost voter turnout for the 2014 municipal election by 11 per cent.
- City of Guelph communications practitioner, Michelle Rickard, received a Pinnacle Award in the Community Relations category for the Jubilee Park communications program. The program was intended to increase public participation in the park planning process. Among the results of that plan was a 500 per cent increase in the level of public participation for the planning of Jubilee Park.
- City of Guelph Chief Administrative Officer, Ann Pappert, was honoured with the CPRS PR Professional of the Year award for serving as the lead manager of an organization who has demonstrated a commitment to and belief in the value of public relations, established public relations as a high-level priority in creating business plans and created an environment where strategic communications can flourish.
- Sandy Manners, Director of Corporate Communications for Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc. and its subsidiaries, Guelph Hydro Electric Systems Inc. and Envida Community Energy Inc., and a Fellow of the Canadian Public Relations Society, received two Pinnacle Awards recognizing the high quality Guelph Hydro Inc. 2013 Sustainability Report; one for “Writing” and the second for “Print Project.”The Guelph Hydro Inc. 2013 Sustainability Report showcased the company’s evolving strategy to integrate sustainable business practices into its day-to-day operations as well as plans for sustainable energy projects (solar energy, district energy, combined heat and power and biogas) that support the Guelph Community Energy Initiative.
- The team of Sandy Manners, Director of Corporate Communications, and Kelly McMath, Communications Specialist, for Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc. were presented with a Pinnacle Award in the Issues / Crisis Management category for the Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc. Crisis Communications Plan.
Platinum and Gold Awards – 2015 Hermes International Creative Awards
- The Guelph Hydro Inc. 2013 Sustainability Report , designed by eSolutionsGroup, Waterloo, and written and produced by Sandy Manners, Director of Corporate Communications for Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc., was also honoured recently with a two Hermes Creative Awards (hermesawards.com ): a Platinum award for Overall Publication and a Gold award in the Corporate Social Responsibility category.The 2015 Hermes Creative Awards competition, administered and judged by the Association of Marketing and Communications Professionals, received over 6,000 entries from Canada, the United States and several other countries.
About the City of Guelph
Located about 100 kilometres west of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Guelph is a growing, diverse and vibrant community of more than 120,000 people. Guelph’s community partners and business leaders are making a difference locally and globally in agri-food, technology, environmental enterprise and advanced manufacturing industries. The city’s healthy local economy, thriving arts and culture scene, charming neighbourhoods, parks and green spaces make Guelph among the most livable cities in Canada.
The City of Guelph is committed to communications excellence as defined by the Canadian Public Relations Society and the International Association of Business Communicators. The City of Guelph has earned 12 awards for communications excellence in recent years. Two of its leaders have been recognized for their commitment to strategic communications.
About Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc.
Wholly owned by the City of Guelph., Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc. manages selected City of Guelph assets to support municipal innovation, generate revenue, create jobs and strengthen community prosperity. The company’s present portfolio includes Guelph Hydro Electric Systems Inc. and Envida Community Energy Inc.
Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc. actively seeks out partnerships, investments and acquisitions that will add value, improve service, and support effective and forward-thinking city building. While the focus to date has been on energy-related corporations supporting the Guelph Community Energy Initiative , Guelph Municipal Holdings Inc. is currently investigating land development and other strategic interests.
For more information, visit: guelphholdings.com