(Include the nearest intersection/ location and photo if you can)
The City of Guelph is looking for suitable locations in public lands where we can work with community members to create new community gardens. Please note that potential garden sites should meet the following criteria:
- An area that receives 6 or more hours of sunlight daily
- Away from trees, even little trees that do not yet cast much shade
- Suitable soil quality and drainage
- Availability of water from a water chamber tap or that could be harvested and stored in rain barrels or cisterns such as the roof of an existing building
- In an area that will not interfere with other uses like a soccer field or ice rink
- In an area that will not interfere with water drainage and site maintenance
- Walkable to the gardening people and accessible to parking and or busing
- Not too much slope. Flat areas are considered easier to garden and are recommended for novice gardeners.
Once suitable sites are identified, we will be able to work with community members to establish new community gardens in Guelph!