Guelph, ON, February 1, 2014–The City’s winter control team is ready to respond to Environment Canada’s snowfall warning—forecasting 15 centimetres of snow today.
Further to the predicted low pressure system expected in Wellington region resulting in snow fall this morning around 10 a.m. into Sunday morning, there is the potential for the falling snow to turn to freezing rain and then rain.
The City’s Public Work’s staff will respond to conditions as they develop today. An update will be issued early this afternoon.
At present, Guelph Transit and community/recreation centres are operating as regularly scheduled.
In preparation, residents are reminded of the following:
- When snow removal gets underway, residents can call 519-837-5628 to report a problem with road conditions.
- Please move parked cars off the streets to make room for snow plows, and help keep storm drains clear.
- Drive according to road conditions, pack an emergency car kit, and treat any non-functioning traffic signals like a four-way stop.
- The City will clear sidewalks as soon as possible, and your assistance is appreciated. If you’re able, please help clear sidewalks near your property, and if you require assistance (disabled or elderly) please call Snow Angels at 519-822-1155.
- In areas where the sidewalks have not been cleared, pedestrians and motorists are asked to take extra care to watch out for each other.
- Please place garbage carts/bags at the curb on the morning of collection rather than the night before (waste must be at the curb by 6:30 a.m.) and leave room for snow banks caused by plows. Please shovel a spot for your carts or bags, and do not place waste on top of snow banks.
- Check to make sure your 72 hour emergency kit is ready and well stocked.
- Call 911 to report downed power lines, stay clear and be patient as crews respond.
- Sunday’s Winterfest events around the city are weather dependent.
The City’s winter maintenance service helps ensure community safety every day and during an extreme weather event. The City will provide continued updates to the community, and invites people to subscribe to updates using Twitter or Facebook.