Guelph Emergency Services and community agencies support displaced residents of apartment fire

GUELPH, ON, August 28, 2012 – On Thursday, August 23, Guelph Emergency Services responded to an apartment fire in a penthouse unit at 120 Edinburgh Road South.

The Canadian Red Cross, Victim Services Wellington and County of Wellington Social Services provided aid to several residents in the building. One hundred and twenty residents were displaced due to fire damage and were provided shelter at the Holiday Inn Guelph while others made arrangements to stay with family or friends.

Arrangements have been made to accommodate the residents living in the unit where the fire started, as the unit sustained extensive damage. All other residents returned to their homes on Saturday, August 25.

“We are very thankful no one was seriously injured. It is unfortunate the fire had such a large impact on the residents of the building, but incidents like this remind us how important it is to have working smoke detectors and a fire safety plan,” said Shawn Armstrong, Fire Chief. “We extend our thanks to all of the agencies that arrived so quickly on the scene to support the victims.”

Initial findings suggest cause of the fire was accidental, and fire officials will continue taking witness statements and investigating. Damage is estimated at $500,000.

For more information

Shawn Armstrong
General Manager/Fire Chief
Emergency Services
T 519-822-1260 x 2125
shawn.armstrong@guelph.ca